spunk, purpose, hard work and La La Land


The big presentation requires everyday perspiration.

These regular investments aren't as spectacular, though.

Maybe that's why we're not as likely to do them.

We'd rather show up to the big presentation and "wing it."

If it makes you feel any better, we all feel this way. Even those of us who show up day after day for practice after practice would rather put their feet up on the couch and relax.

There is absolutely a place for that. It's called "Sabbath." Whether you can claim a whole day for one or carve out a hole for one in your day, it is a meaningful investment that invests meaning fully into you.

But rest without work... Sabbath without sweat... is laziness.

Sometimes we get weary in doing good, so we become good at "doing weary."


Years ago when I was an emerging adult, I didn't know why I was going to college... which meant I didn't show up for classes... which led to me fizzling out.

And then I took a trip - two weeks without an agenda among people in one of the busiest cities in the world. Near the end, God broke my heart for people. I embraced my purpose for life through Him.

So I came back and started showing up for class. Soon I was on a pathway toward becoming myself - the "self" I was created to be.

You have spunk in you. 

There is purpose oozing around in parts of your soul you have yet to uncover.

You'll only find it (and find it again, and find it again, and find it again) by owning this before God, receiving a Resurrection from Jesus Christ and living in the power of the Holy Spirit.

And then... you'll soon start showing up in your work clothes do work your work.

Whether it's a matter of doing that inner journey of the soul or giving your best in the trenches...

Plan your work. Work your plan.

Only by being faithful when it isn't glamorous does "blah" and "bland" become La La Land.
"For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies." (2 Thessalonians 3:11)
"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. (Colossians 3:23-24)