guest post: spirit in the sky... and on the streets

From Rosemary Edwards, Admin Connection of Connection Church

I was initially concerned about my participation in the 4th of July Parade.

I didn’t think I would be able to walk for an hour in the sweltering 90 degree heat, so I made plans to ride in the truck that would pull our praise band. I figured I would probably need to get aboard about 15 minutes into the walk.

We arrived at the starting point an hour before the parade was due to begin. The band set up their equipment while the rest of us decorated the band wagon, arranged the bottles of cold water and put the brightly colored lollipops in bags for easy dispersal. Pastor Tony led us in prayer and off we went, already soaked in perspiration. We were singing “going up to the Spirit in the sky….” (I really thought I might go there before the day was over!)

All along the route, the band was singing with sweat in their eyes as the rest of us scurried about with the water bottles and suckers. The people of our community were grateful for the water, especially the children who held out their little hands for the suckers.

Before I knew it I was running back to the truck for more and more suckers. Blaise, who was driving the truck, had to remind me to drink water. I was having so much fun.

Then... the parade was over. I was stunned!

I thanked God for allowing me to share in such a blessing. The children watching the parade with their hands out reminded me of the generosity of our church and how God has allowed us to give faithfully to children here and children half way around the world. We do live in the land of the free where we can freely give. God bless, America!
"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." (Matthew 10:42)