an honest, gutsy spiritual growth plan - pt 1

I waited a month to share this with you.

We all know January 1st is full of great intentions that often go nowhere past the first week. Now that it's February, it's time for a spiritual growth plan that you might actually stick with. Every day can be hectic, and sometimes our best intentions get lost. You can recover them and the life God intended for you with a plan and process to draw closer to Him. (James 4:8)

Let's begin by asking some good questions you're willing to be honest about:
  • What words would I use to describe who God was to me five years ago? Has anything changed since then? Should it have?

  • When I pray, what do I pray about? How do I listen to God?

  • What does it look like for me to really care about other Christians?

  • How will I grow in my love for people who don’t yet know Christ?

  • Am I giving God what’s right or what’s left financially?

  • In what areas of my life am I making excuses?

  • In what ways is God bearing some real fruit/change in me?

  • Do I really care about the Bible? Do I believe God speaks through it? Will I memorize any particular Scriptures?

  • What’s my attitude toward church or spiritual leadership?

  • What music/songs resonate with my soul?

  • With whom do I need to go back and “make things right?”

  • What is one area of my life I’ve become stronger this year?

  • How do I settle for the appearance of growth/accountability that needs to go deeper and wider to really make a difference?

Here's one more that ties those together:
  • Who am I trying to speak in generalities with because I don't want them to know the specifics of how I'm really doing?

Today's step: Talk to that person, and share how you answered those questions.

See you tomorrow for Part 2.
"Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." (James 4:8)