sidestepping the words of God

Here's a thought... what about the Bible? 

This is usually the point when you put your head down. I'm tempted to do the same.

For some reason it seems like a majority of Christians struggle with reading the words of God.

Notice how I described that.

I could have just said "the Bible." Instead, I noted that we are avoiding reading the words of God.

Think about how insane that is. Here we are in life, begging for Divine revelation... when it's already been written down for us.

We might say we struggle because it's difficult to get into a routine.  

The real truth is we make time for the things that matter to us.

When my wife and I were dating, I would run out the door at work in Michigan and drive hours down to where she was at school in Indiana to spend five minutes with her before her curfew. It was chaotic, but we didn't care - because that time mattered to us... because of the relationship.

Perhaps the real issue is something we're afraid to admit.

It is often in opposition that we are defined. Maybe that's why we avoid the Bible more often than we engage it. Let's face it - who wants to be chiseled away at when you could instead go through your day in your own sensibilities?

Might that be the real issue here?
"The lamp of the LORD searches the spirit of a man; it searches out his inmost being." (Proverbs 20:27)