what to do in the meantime

Every once in a while we catch a whiff of a huge opportunity in front of us.  We don't have words for it, and yet we sort of "know" that something big is about to happen.

Only because we can't see it just yet, we go crazy wondering what your next step "should be" and "could be."  We wonder if it's all written in stone or if it will only happen if we make the "right" decision.  I know from personal experience how tremendously frustrating this can be.

What do we do in the meantime?

How can we go somewhere when we have an idea of the destination but can't adequately explain how we will get there? I've learned that the clear answer to the unclear question is daily faithfulness.  Dee Hock explains it this way: 
One need not know and be able to prove in advance what could be accomplished. One need not have a precise plan about how to get there.
In a complex, rapidly changing world, a clear sense of direction, a compelling purpose and powerful beliefs about conduct in pursuit of it, seemed to me infinitely more sensible and robust than mechanical plans, detailed objectives, and predetermined outcomes.
(p. 169, One From Many, Dee Hock)
I dig this concept, and yet I find that this isn't easy for most people.  I used to be one of those guys who needed to know every step of the way, and today I'm more willing to throw myself into the moment and trust that what I am giving my best swing at is somehow linked into whatever needs to happen down the road. Meaning, if I love God and others completely in whatever I'm doing (and without reservation), the rest doesn't matter because that moment absolutely does... and it becomes the metaphorical pebble that creates the ripples into the rest of the pond. 

And the secret of that?  One must live for something that actually lasts so that the details (which don't seem to last and yet demand so much of our attention) don't choke the life out of us.