hate mail and blah, blah blah

This week I received my first official piece of "hate mail" regarding my weekly newspaper column. It just so happened that I got it after having written this week's article (but before it was published for him to read it) - ironically on the subject of how we as a culture have taken less to holding our tongue versus spewing out our grumpiness.

I know it's common to copy and paste things on Facebook, Twitter or blogs that shows how smart we are versus how dumb others are, be it politicians, co-workers, customers, local businesses or neighbors.

We are more apt to cry about feeling short-changed than we are to become the change we want to see in the world.

This is why I attempted to reach out to the person who wrote me, although I have not received any response. I honestly wonder if it's even a real email address or a manufactured one, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and ask to hang out locally so we can have a conversation about his feelings and thoughts.

I wonder if he'll take me up on it... or if he was merely interested in a drive-by blast.

Meanwhile, I have a favor... can you and I please become less interested in proving how intelligent we are and how idiotic others are? We get it - you're a Republican and Democrats are stupid; or you're a Democrat and Republicans are stupid; or you're an independent and everyone else is stupid; and so on.

And likewise, you were mistreated at a place of business... and they are dummies, dummies, dummies. Or you were offended that a church didn't meet your needs, because that's what they're "supposed to do."

I apologize for the edge, but not for what I hope it does in a surgical manner. We are accomplishing nothing by merely becoming recycle banks for derogatory content, and could instead use that energy to start something productive.

I heard something a couple of days ago that struck me - people complain about drug houses and gun houses in neighborhoods, but the reality is if you or I would have put something positive there instead they drug house or gun house couldn't have gone there.

Hmm.

So please read this week's article: If You Can't Say Something Nice

And... let's remember that we are capable of more than posting yet another "blah, blah, blah" rant or "hate these people with me" boycott that really does nothing to build bridges but only erects fences.

"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions." (Proverbs 18:2)