cursing cussing

Do our words matter more than we think they do?

A friend of mine wondered this out loud. Here's what he wrote:
Someone called me out on FB for cussing yesterday. Agree or disagree with my response?
I don't think cussing is a sin (and I don't find anything in the Bible about cussing), they're just words when u don't have other words. I use them for emphasis. Now if I call someone an a******, yes that would be wrong, but if I called them stupid it's the exact same thing. And that's what bothers me about "religious" people, they'll criticize someone for cussing or having a drink and weigh 500 lbs lol. I'm like, "gluttony" is in the Bible! Jesus said "remove the plank from your own eye before trying to remove the speck from your brother's."

I replied back:
This is a great question. I love that you're asking it. Now that you've had a number of replies, read through your responses back - do you find yourself truly being teachable on this or more defending your original slant? That will be a helpful insight in itself.

I personally went on a journey with this as when I came to Christ I was the "dirty joke teller." It felt like I needed to let Jesus have His way in my life in every area, including my tongue. So I invited Him into this area. Someone once said that the use of profanity is our way of saying, "I couldn't think of an intelligent way to make my point, so I'll use a power word instead." Maybe there's a better way. A couple key passages for me: 
"And do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
I like including the verses before the one that specifically speaks about our language, as I have to first ask, "Am I giving the devil a foothold in my life in any area?" The passage then speaks about how there should be a noted change in our life after coming to Jesus. As if sating, "By the way, that involves your language." The KJV states it, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." The original word there for "corrupt" or "unwholesome" language translates as "rotten" or "of poor quality." 
"Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:26-27)
What an interesting challenge to us. On one hand, God loves it when we do good deeds for the world on His behalf, loving and leading people to Him while we care for the poor. On the other hand, all of that can end up being worthless if we don't keep a tight reign on our tongues. James 3 goes into greater detail on this, adding, "Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?" It adds, "no human being can tame the tongue." 
So it goes back to how we can argue our position on this nor try to get better. It comes down to surrender - will I live as I think it's okay to live and use "grace" to do so, or will I invite the Holy Spirit of God to rewire me from the inside regardless of it's how I would do it?"

That's the key - because I've seen some "non-swearing" people say some pretty harsh things that did incredible damage. Likewise, I've seen some Jesus-loving people fail to invite Jesus into this area of their life and end up short of the full life He's called them into.

I play a lot of online games with my boys, and sometimes I hop into a chat party with some guys who are pretty loose with their tongues. Over time they've noticed I don't swear, and strangely they've adapted their language to not swearing when I'm online... even apologizing when they do. I never asked them to do that, but I found that they for whatever reason were inspired to do so be it by my example or Jesus in me.

God loves you... I'm confident He loves that you're asking this question, too. Stay on the journey. Cheering for you and Jesus in you.
What if the next thing we say is a bigger deal than we realize?

Because it often actually is.