all the feels

Did... did that just happen? 

I was flipping through stations and stopped on one. A commercial began, playing some slow tender Disney-ish music.

"Careful, it's gonna give you all the feels!" warned my 18-year old son from the other room.

It was too late. A dad and his daughter are at Disney World. And then suddenly they aren't. And then suddenly I'm a wrecked adult man who just got punched in the heart from the inside.

"That's so wrong," I finally managed to say, finding my breath after the carnage.

Here - watch it for yourself. Disney would love to dropkick you, too.


In addition to my 18-year old and 16-year old sons, I also have a 9-year old little girl. Yes, she will always be my "little girl."

And yes, I've walked that walk with her by the epic castle in Florida. I'm fallen hook, line and sinker for experiences that let my kids and I slow down together. While I don't get behind everything Disney does, some of my most favorite memories in the world have happened in Mickey's domain.

Today I just have a quick word for you on emotional health - because our hearts can be amazing motivators for making decisions. Sometimes in an effort to meet an emotional tug, we spend money we don't have to take a trip we can't afford and eat food that is overpriced. Other times, we go into that same opportunity knowing it's an expense we've saved up for and are doing in a healthy window to our schedule.

But we don't always choose things that way. Often we make choices based on "all the feels" - for example,
  • Impulsiveness: "What do my desires say?"
  • Compliance: "What do others demand?"
  • Delegation: "What if others chose?"
  • Deflection: "How can I avoid that?"
  • Baggage: "What happened once?"
  • Fatigue: "How do I avoid more work?"
  • Politics: "What does my party want me to say?"
  • Reflection: "What is wisest here?"
Proverbs 3:5-6 dares us to take our emotions... all the feels... and trust them "all" to God, as His understanding can redirect our understanding:
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. " (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Today won't be the day I hope on a plane and take my daughter to the castle again.

But today will be the day she and I hug, and play, and recite lines for a drama she wants to be in, and dance when Pandora plays our favorite song.

Look at that list again. Which has been leading you lately?

And what would it look like to give all the feels some greater wisdom and context than what you alone bring to the table?

Together,

Tony Myles
#2020Reset